Running Alongside

Chad's spot for various thoughts, musings, poetry, ideas and whatnot

Home Home Page Archives Contact

 

Friday, January 01, 2010
New Year's Resolutions-2010
As I did last year, I thought I'd share my New Year's Resolutions for this first year of the century's second decade. The idea of these resolutions is to give me a sense of where I'd like to go in the coming year on a deep level. From these will flow long, medium and short term goals to which I will add a few more goals from things I don't see as deep but I do deem as important (such as goals related to cycling and course work).

One of the questions I get from cynics is, "Why do you make resolutions when you probably aren't going to keep them?" and "So, how did you do last year?" I make resolutions because I believe that it is important to state who I want to become each year. Will I achieve all (or even any) of these? No, most likely I will not. But by laying them out before me, I clarify where I want to go int he coming year. Last year, I did lose weight and keep it off which helped me reach my goal of winning the state time trial championship. I did shift our menu and purchasing away from foods that are energy intensive to produce and nutritionally deficient. Were there things I failed to move forward on? Sure, but that's not a reason to strive to be a better person. The question I ask in return is, "What's the alternative? Stagnation, cynicism and despair?"

So, without further ado, here are my 2010 resolutions:

I resolve to change the way in which I interact with technology in my life in the following ways:

I will forsake the use of technology as a means of mindless entertainment.

I will use technology and social networking media as a way to lessen the distance between myself and those around me.

I will better explore the creative aspects of technology to share my thoughts, ideas and values with those who come into contact with me.

I resolve to create an atmosphere of grace and peace in my life and my surroundings:

I will endeavor to create and keep simple and beautiful living spaces that encourage both contemplation and interaction.

I will endeavor to cultivate the finer things of life and to ask others to join me in enjoying them.

I resolve to keep growing in who I am and who I am becoming:

I will consciously seek out the paths of katharsis, photosis and theosis in my spiritual and religious live.

I will work to engage more completely in a life of prayer.

I will establish a habit of reading each and every day.

I will seek out and follow opportunities for professional growth and development.

By my example I hope to create the space and example that will inspire others to allow grow.

I resolve to work to find and engage community in my life:

I will renew my efforts to broaden my community of faith.

I will strive to invite new and diverse people to join me in community.

For all who took the time to work through this, thanks for reading. I wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

Grace and Peace.
The Physicist   Link Me    |

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com